Skip to content Skip to footer

Questions and Answers

4 things you must do when you become self-employed:

  1. Registering as self-employed with HMRC & paying taxes - To start working as self-employed, you must register with HMRC and obtain a UTR (Unique Taxpayer Reference), you would need to do this as soon as possible. How you register your self-employed status with HMRC depends on your own circumstances, as explained fully in HMRC guide on how to register as self-employed. We can always assist you with that.
  2. Work out whether you need to register for VAT, this is completely optional if you provide services to us.
  3. Keep accurate and up-to-date financial records, this is needed for your end-of-year tax return when you calculate your expenses.
  4. Invoicing – from weekly invoicing to other matters, such as end of year tax return – we can assist you with our accountancy partners and we can help to raise invoices on your behalf. If you do not want to do your taxes, our accountancy partners offer accountancy products to assist drivers with VAT registration and tax returns. However, you are not obliged to use their products.

All drivers must be able to pass a background check prior to starting to deliver. This is the standard process for most delivery companies. Unfortunately, we cannot accept any prior disclosures. Our team will submit the check on your behalf to speed up the process. The cost is £49 and is deducted from your first payment.

Once your Background clearance is approved, you will then start your delivery training, the first 2 days of the training will be in the depot. The classroom training typically lasts up to 8 hours daily. In addition, there are some instances where remote training is provided to drivers. After the training in the depot is completed, our experienced drivers will take you out on the road to learn how the delivery systems work. (We call it a ride along) After your initial training on the ride along, your first day on the road is called a nursery route. This is a reduced route and ensures you are not overrun on your first days of delivering yourself. You will be given 70% of the parcel volume during your first three days to find your feet. After three days, this will be increased to 80% of the parcel volume for another 3 days, and the final three days will be 90% of the parcel volume. All these nursery routes are paid as full payments.

Usually an onboarding process is quick, easy and simple, on average it takes up to 2 weeks to get you on road.

It is very flexible. You being self-employed you are practically running your own business, and one if the benefits if it is that you can plan what days and how many days you want to work.

The fuel is paid to you per route mileage. The fuel prices are reviewed weekly, which is taken from the RAC average fuel rates, this is paid to you along with your weekly service payments. If you are just starting to provide services to us, we can assist you with the companies fuel card which is then deducted for your weekly payments.

Payments are made weekly, 2 weeks in arrears. This means that the payment is 2 weeks behind. The payment scale varies based on the depot and area you provide services. This will fluctuate between £138 to £187. Civic Commercials Point of Contact will be able to tell you about the latest rate on your interview/induction.

Generally, local Civic Commercials Point of Contact is the first to assist a driver with a query. However, the finance team can be contacted if further assistance is needed. You can reach out to us on

While this is understandably a common question, the number of parcels depends on the area of delivery. In other words, it depends on your city and town. However, the general rule is that you will get fewer parcels to deliver the longer your travel distance. The amount of stops you make per day can be anything between 60 to 180 stops. The App pre-calculates the delivery routes. This, however, is flexible and based on daily parcel volume. The driver's start time depends on the depot; however, it is usually about 10 am. The routes are planned for 9h a day.

Due to Health and Safety Regulations, all drivers must wear steel toe cap shoes and a high vis vest in the depot. We can give you an advice upon your interview and provide you with a high viz.

If you are not a van owner and need assistance with a van rental, you are welcome to apply and start providing services to us. In fact, 95% of the drivers start with a van rental option and after a few months of saving up and trying courier life they get their own. We can help you with the van rental with our well-known and experienced partners, the van rental includes vehicle and courier insurance, tyres, services, and more the vehicle stays with you, and you can use it for personal matters as well. However, it does not include vehicle damage – much like any other rental company. Usually, you get a standard wheel based van such as a Ford Transit, VW Transporter etc. This is provided to drivers at a rate of £220 per week (£37 per six-day work week).

You are responsible for doing van compliance checks and ensuring it is in a road-worthy condition. For example, you are responsible for checking the level of liquids such as oil, AdBlue and screen wash. You must immediately notify us about any van issues or damages. Our Fleet department and Point of Contact will assist you if you have van problems. If we detect or you notify us of a van damage? The insurance excess is £500, and we offer a customized payment plan to ensure the driver can pay this off over a set period. The excess could be higher if you have 6 points on your licence. If a damage is caused on a vehicle, you are responsible for covering the costs, which can also be arranged as a weekly deduction plan over the period of time.

Van owners are more than welcome to deliver with their own vans, as long as you meet specific criteria.

  • The vehicle must have the following:
  • A minimum of five cubic meters of loading space.
  • Meet both mechanical and bodywork standards and be in a roadworthy condition.
  • As an owner-driver, your insurances need to include the following:
  • Hire or Reward or Haulage
  • Goods in transit up to the value of £25,000.
  • Public liability insurance up to the value of £5,000,000.
Currently there is no age limit on the van.

Yes, if you need assistance, we are currently able to help you in Romanian, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian and Lithuanian languages.